Yesterday was the first day of my personal challenge to avoid buying or using plastic products. Just noticing how one product after another contains plastic was eye-opening. The first thing I did was start planning ahead for items like toothpaste, toothbrushes, and soap. I made drawings of ceramic vessels I can make to hold homemade toothpaste and soap, as well as sketch lists of plastic-free alternatives like a razor, wooden hairbrushes and toothbrushes, and a metal pen.
I take probiotics, and yesterday I happened to run out, which presented my first real hurdle. I began searching online and asking questions in forums. I like kimchi for its probiotic benefits, but my search for kimchi in a glass bottle with a metal lid was a flop. I found some in a glass jar, but it still had a plastic safety seal on the lid. Because of this, I decided to make my own—only to find that sourcing chili powder in glass or cardboard was nearly impossible.
I visited both Gibson's Grocery and Brookshire's in search of plastic-free items, and it was startling to realize just how much is packaged in plastic. I brought my own bag and bought garlic and a jalapeƱo pepper alongside my packaged goods. I am doing this to raise my awareness of how conditioned we are to consume plastic. I love experiments and challenges that pose tough questions, though the sheer amount of plastic pushed on us is annoying—and perhaps I am just bored!
Even products with glass and metal packaging often rely on plastic seals, though outer seals are easier to avoid. Many boxed goods are also double-sealed in plastic. Another obstacle is that most store employees don't know if their products contain plastic, and frankly, most people don't care.
In the end, I bought three packaged items yesterday: kombucha, chili powder, spices, and eggs. The visible packaging included glass, metal, and a paper carton. However, the chili powder turned out to have a plastic sifter lid under the cap—folly number one! If at first you don't succeed, try again. I didn't purchase the plastic willingly, and I've come to accept that there will be unseen obstacles along the way.
Several people—especially my students—have pointed out that they think plastic is cheap. I'm not so sure; I think it's more about manufacturers keeping costs low, preserving products and driving sales. The more I consider this challenge, the more I believe it will help me consume less, reduce my waste, improve my health, and save money. We will see how it goes as the challenge moves forward.




Comments
Post a Comment