Skip to main content

Day Two

    Day two was very easy. I simply did not buy anything, so plastic wasn't an issue. However, I decided to develop a point system for consuming plastic products. This will help me track my consumption and serve as a resource for others who want to take the challenge and set their own goals. I will update the blog with the points system in a few days.

    I also made a few observations I hadn't thought about before. Lifesavers mints, which I regularly eat, will have to be substituted with mints packed in foil, tins, or paper—not a hard issue to solve. Also, my coffee habit will require more attention and effort so that I avoid Styrofoam cups, plastic sweetener packets, and creamer pods. This is another simple fix. My level of self-awareness is steadily increasing, and that pleases me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reflection on Day One

     Yesterday was the first day of my personal challenge to avoid buying or using plastic products. Just noticing how one product after another contains plastic was eye-opening. The first thing I did was start planning ahead for items like toothpaste, toothbrushes, and soap. I made drawings of ceramic vessels I can make to hold homemade toothpaste and soap, as well as sketch lists of plastic-free alternatives like a razor, wooden hairbrushes and toothbrushes, and a metal pen.      I take probiotics, and yesterday I happened to run out, which presented my first real hurdle. I began searching online and asking questions in forums. I like kimchi for its probiotic benefits, but my search for kimchi in a glass bottle with a metal lid was a flop. I found some in a glass jar, but it still had a plastic safety seal on the lid. Because of this, I decided to make my own—only to find that sourcing chili powder in glass or cardboard was nearly impossible.   ...